The thing for which non-white people owe white men, in particular, a massive debt of gratitude is: Western Civilization. Secondarily it’s Capitalism. However, the latter requires the former to exist, so I’m going all the way to Western Civilization.
Quickly: Why is there a Black Lives Matter movement? Why are there feminists? Why are there radical environmentalists? Why is there a “Trans-Gender” movement, and so much more?
Don’t think too hard, it’s not a trick question. The answer is much more basic and simple than you might think: because there can be.
The headline says that “non-white people owe a massive debt of gratitude to white men,” but really I meant everyone owes the debt of gratitude…. Everyone, because anyone can go out and start a movement that shouts at the top of its lungs about how horrible it is in America, because of white men. Because America, founded and established by white men, lets you do that.
Non-white people, even those who hate white people the most, all shout it out all the time: white people — and in particular white men — are the power structure in America. We’ve all heard it a million times.
Well, if that’s the case, then white men set up a power structure in which anyone and everyone is perfectly free to vilify… white men… just as much as they wish to. It’s not debatable… all you have to do is to be vaguely conscious in your every day life.
Oh, don’t get me wrong, white women were powerfully instrumental in the shaping of the most generous, the freest, the most humane system of governing ever established: Western Civilization, but no one is running about accusing white women of being the ones holding everyone down. That kind of vilification is reserved solely for white men, which is why this particular essay comes to their defense.
This freedom of speech thing, the freedom to worship as one chooses, the right peaceably to assemble and to petition the government for redress of grievances, the right to face one’s accuser or accusers, due process, the right not to testify against oneself, the right to have a voice in the choice of one’s leaders. These are all really frickin’ radical things. Invented, formulated, implemented… by white men.
Yes, yes, yes, I know… white men set up all these marvelous freedoms and rights mostly for themselves. Others who weren’t white, or weren’t men, didn’t share fully in those sweet things. And in other cases, white men oppressed and persecuted those who were not white, or not men.
But here’s the real genius of those freedoms and rights: Read this very well: No country in which the dominant group instituted those rights and freedoms could long deny them to everyone in the country.
How’s that? Easy: Imagine the words: “…all men are created equal” Or these:
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity…
Over time someone, then someones is/are going to pose the question: are those who don’t look just like us people all the same?
No people can answer that question with a “No” for long, before other people tell them they’re being ridiculous.
Finally, we the people have no choice but to recognize that they’re the people too. And, slowly but surely, we the people… did. It wasn’t overnight, but nothing that happens on a grand scale, involving changing the hearts and minds of scores of millions, happens overnight. We wish it would, but even if we had a perfect machine in our hands, we ourselves are imperfect, and we’d find a way to muck it all up.
But, we’d get better. And better. And still better, and better and better. Until we were a whole lot less mucked up.
The abolitionist movement — started by white men, by the way(1) — consisted of people telling others of their own kind that they were being ridiculous, and that they needed to cut it the hell out.
- Are you free to close down New York City for your Black Lives Matter march, while the police stand by protecting your right to express yourself? Thank a white man.
- Are you perfectly unafraid for your safety as, with your fellow feminists you parade down Pennsylvania Avenue telling the whole world, and vast throngs of assembled media, what brutes white men are? Thank a white man.
- Do you write a blog in which you take isolated incidents whose details are in question, and use those stories to spread libels, obvious exaggerations, and disinformation about white men (Ferguson, Missouri, Trayvon Martin, and more), and can you then completely exclude white men from even participating in that blog? Thank a white man.(2)
- Can you put a blog post on the internet publicly fantasizing about the violent death of all white people, completely unworried that there will be any consequences from publicly wishing death on the very people who supposedly control the power structure in America, and who are supposedly such tyrants? Thank a white man.(3)
- After a tough day at work do you like to turn on your favorite cable “news” station, and listen to your favorite commentators telling you what a corrupt jerk the most powerful man in the world (a white man, by the way) is? Thank a white man.
- Do you stock your bookshelves with books by Ralph Ellison, James Baldwin, Stokely Carmichael, Dick Gregory, Langston Hughes, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Alice Walker, Ta-Nehisi Coates, and more? Thank a white man.
- Do you think with nostalgia to the days when we had a black President? Thank a white man.
- Are you attached to your wide-screen television, your nice car, your fancy phone, your nice clothes, your four game consoles? They all came to you courtesy of something called Capitalism, which is possible only under Western Civilization. Thank a white man.
I’m nothing like a white nationalist. In fact, I’m not white. No one’s white — it’s just a generalizing label that fits rather poorly. Like calling people who are obviously brown-skinned, “black people.”
We all came from the same place, Africa, or so the anthropologists say, and that means that black, brown, white, yellow, green, purple or something else, we all share one thing far more important than the color of our skin: our humanity. We’re all human, and that’s all that counts.
If, however, you’re honest with yourself, then each night you’d fall down on your knees and say, “Thank you, God, for white men!” Then, after you’d done that, you’d remember, I hope, that white men were able to do all that — form Western Civilization, with all its magnificent freedoms — only because of, and thanks to, a lone… brown-skinned man: Jesus Christ.
So, even Western Civilization, the crowning achievement of humanity, and of white men in particular, owes all the splendors of its radically progressive nature to a radically progressive… brown man.
The white men paid homage to the lone brown Man in the very preamble of the Constitution of the United States. Supposedly, a secular document, the writers inserted little, strategic tributes to God: The idea was to form a more perfect union. Well, the founders knew perfectly well, that perfection itself is unattainable. Why not say something like “… a better union,” or “… a superior union,” or “… a good union,” or “… a greater union”?
Why the very abstract, seemingly unnecessary and awkward, “more perfect?” The answer seems simple: Perfection is reserved for the divine; for God. There aren’t gradations in perfection, and human beings are nothing but gradations. The founders were hoping that their striving for an unattainable perfection acknowledged their belief in, and their debt to, Almighty God.
Further, the founders were hoping to secure the “Blessings of liberty.” Not the gifts. Not the boons or benefits, but the blessings. This is an open, yet still subtle, confession of the founders’ deep desire to involve and acknowledge divine God in their works.
America’s founders could have said the “gifts of liberty,” and no one would have faulted them. They said, though, “blessings,” a heavily freighted word. If they used a heavily freighted word, then they intended to use a heavily freighted word. And they wanted to take advantage of every bit of the freight in the word.
The founders were trying to write a document for the ages. They considered every last word hyper carefully. Their intent was to write something that could very possibly do precisely what they said they were hoping it would do: secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity… form a more perfect union.
Thomas Jefferson supposedly had half-black children by Sally Hemings. They were part of his posterity. The founders knew that their document, in acknowledging God, allowed for people to strive not just to be better, but for perfection. And, in failing to attain perfection, maybe achieve something truly wonderful. Not just… a bit better. They did that. They did achieve something truly wonderful: a structure, described by a document, that both allowed for infinite improvement. Because of their wording.
The founders knew also that in using words like “more perfect” and “blessings” they were setting down exhortations for us to surpass their own efforts. Not only to be “more perfect,” but to be better even than the founders themselves.
So, if you find that by dint of your hard work, your diligent efforts, your creativity and cleverness, you’ve prospered… thank a white man.
If, however, you’ve not done so well, but you know that you have a second chance, or a third, or a fourth… fifth, sixth or seventh… thank a white man.
These many chances, freedoms, rights were not possible, except for all but a few, in all other countries, before the advent of radical Western Civilization. These things are present in the rest of the world, only in those countries most heavily influenced by… Western Civilization.
So, if by chance you already knew all this, well then, thank a white man… and realize that if he’s honest with himself, he’s thanking that lone brown Man.
On second thought, all that thanking above? Just give it to Jesus instead.
(1) Christian white men, by the way. Christianity was a necessary and powerful component of the abolitionist movement. No Christian can long support slavery and consider himself true to Christ’s teachings.
(2) Those who follow this blog are aware that we occasionally debate with Brothawolf, a racist blogger who has a bit of a following most of whom often repeat the libel that all white people are racists, and that white people themselves are inherently evil. He has an online friend — Abagond — who also blogs, and who also has a following who say those same things. These two are fond of taking isolated incidents, often from decades or centuries ago, and using them to pretend that white hostility toward black people is worse now than it’s ever been. Both are deeply racist writers who have become what they so vociferously condemn.
(3) In the aforementioned “Brothawolf” blog, a commenter calling herself “diaryofanegress” unburdened herself of the following lovely sentiment (Red emphasis added; juvenile obscenities removed):
Yurugu is feeling, slightly, the sins of his twisted, diseased, diabolical past, present and future with rising alarm. Having zero concept of karma, they are “stunned” and “caught off guard” as to why the entire Colored world harbours feelings of resentment and anger towards them.
Being deficient of melanin, the God Principle of the planet, they are unable to experience remorse and humility. They know, intrinsically, that they shall reap the benefits of what they have planted but arrogance will never permit them to admit it.
Their rising fear will manifest into more crimes against us and more laws restricting us but it will be of no avail. Yurugu WILL PERISH off the planet. Either by ways of the sword or by ways of Mother Nature. My wish is for a solar assassination of their nasty, beastiality-loving, pale a##es.
Don’t let the door hit ya on the way out!
On second thought…I hope the door hits them real hard.
Obviously, the writer is irony-challenged. I especially appreciated this from her: “they are unable to experience remorse and humility.” Such a, oh, I dunno… humble sentiment, to know what a billion other people unlike her can experience! I wonder whether she felt remorse at wishing them all — children, women and men… dead.
If you read beyond the above-linked comment, you see that Brothawolf endorsed it with this pithy reply:
If it does hit them, they’ll likely blame it on blacks, Hispanics, Jews, and anyone else. lol [Editor’s note: Neither Brothawolf nor diaryofanegress suffered even the tiniest negative repercussion for these ghastly sentiments. Yet, you can be fairly sure they never thanked a white man. They should.]
Lol! That is a real knee-slapper, eh?!? Certainly had me ROFL and chuckling and guffawing for quite a while! Don’t you just love to joke and kid about wiping out a sixth or so of the human race?!? I love light entertainment like that. It sure helps to take the edge off a tough day at work! Lol!